We remain open to provide care for your pets. We are following the direction of government and regulatory authorities and have implemented hospital and visit protocols to keep both you and our team safe. For regular updates on our hours and visit protocols, please follow our social media platforms.
We provide a wide range of surgeries at McKnight Veterinary Hospital. We offer routine surgeries such as spays, neuters and dentistry as well as emergency surgeries. Because of our 24-hour status, we are equipped to handle most cases during the day and overnight. For surgeries that are more complex, we also can call a surgeon to come into the clinic and perform the operation.
• Full physical exam prior to the anesthetic
• A sedative prior to surgery which also helps to control pain
• Intravenous Fluids- extremely important during surgery in order to maintain hydration, keep blood pressure up and to allow access to a vein in the case of an emergency.
• A Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) monitoring the anesthetic, keeping track of vitals such as heart rate, blood pressure, respiration rate and temperature.
• An injection of anti-inflammatory pain medication following surgery.
• Oral anti-inflammatory pain medication to go home for a few days following surgery to help keep your pet comfortable.
• A buster collar to keep your pet from licking at the incision during the healing process.
• You also have the option to do a pre-anesthetic blood screen, which we can run in the clinic the same day as surgery. It is a safety precaution and gives us a baseline for future care.
• A complimentary nail trim.
Where do you keep my pet before and after surgery?
Your pet is kept in a kennel while they are here in the hospital. It ensures both the safety of your pet as well as the safety of the other pets coming in. We ensure that they are comfortable with lots of bedding! Once the surgery has been completed, a Registered Veterinary Technician stays with your pet until they have fully recovered from the anesthetic to ensure that everything goes smoothly.